The Alberta Real World Evidence (RWE) Consortium
Evidence that captures the observed impact of a process or technology on health outcomes and resource utilization outside of controlled clinical trials (real world evidence or RWE) is highly valuable to technology developers, manufacturers, regulators, payers, clinicians, and patients. It can be used to capture outcomes achieved/return on investment following the introduction of a technology, for monitoring effectiveness and safety, and for tracking technology uptake and implementation. It has potential to drive evidence-based clinical and policy decision-making, to improve the efficiency of Alberta’s health care system and the return on the Province’s investment in healthcare dollars, and to improve health and economic outcomes.
The Alberta Real World Evidence (RWE) Consortium engages key provincial stakeholders involved in RWE generation and utilization in order to advance provincial capabilities, ensure high-quality projects managed to timelines and budget, and (where capacity is limiting) help focus projects and provincial resources on joint priorities between sponsors and the province.
The mandate of the Consortium is to:
- Support the establishment of Alberta’s position as a global leader in RWE generation and make Alberta the preferred jurisdiction of RWE investment and partnership for life science organizations;
- Facilitate a provincial approach to RWE service delivery that optimizes Alberta assets and competencies to produce the highest quality RWE products; and
- Ensure the alignment of RWE activities with provincial priorities.
Key functions of the Consortium include:
- Optimization of Alberta’s RWE studies
- Strengthening the Alberta RWE ecosystem
- Providing world class project support services, including study design, execution, and knowledge sharing
- Identifying and supporting projects that align with provincial health and policy priorities, ensuring relevance to decision-makers in Alberta
- Convening the best pan-provincial teams for commissioned, large-scale projects that may also have implementation components
The Consortium is co-chaired by the Director, Health Technology Assessment Unit of the University of Calgary, the Assistant Dean, Health Outcomes of the University of Alberta, and the Executive Director and CEO of the Institute of Health Economics. Additional organizations that are members of the Consortium include the Government of Alberta (the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade), Alberta Health Services, and Alberta Innovates.
The Institute of Health Economics is the Secretariat for the Consortium, and preferred first point of contact for industry and other sponsors interested in discussing a potential RWE project in the province. For more information about the Alberta RWE Consortium, please email us at email@example.com.
Further information about the Alberta RWE Consortium can be found here: https://albertarwe.ca/about-us/.
For more information about the Alberta RWE Consortium, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.